Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Jack's Mannequin: The Glass Passenger


I actually had no intention of even getting this album – to tell you the truth I didn’t even know that it had came out until it came into my work. So I picked it up and I listened to it and I was very surprised to hear what I heard. To follow 2005’s “Everything in Transit” was a difficult task I’m sure for Andrew McMahon’s Jack’s Mannequin. Now for those of you who have been in a hole for 4 years, this is the side project that has now turned into the only project for Andrew McMahon (front man to both Jack’s Mannequin and Something Cooperate). The band’s first album, “Everything in Transit” debuted at number 37 on the Billboard charts and was an easy sell to all of those starved Something Cooperate fans (me at the time). Now after 3 years of silence from Andrew and the boys (from both bands) Jack’s Mannequin has released their 2nd full length, ‘The Glass Passenger’.

This album definitely has a different sound then the first but unlike most Jack’s Mannequin fans, I don’t think that it’s a bad thing. You could really hear a lot more Something Corporate in ‘transit’ and I think that Mr. McMahon is starting to find the sound he wants for Jack’s Mannequin. I mean, I know that some people say that this statement is preposterous but I’m gonna say it anyways - Jack’s Mannequin and Something Corporate do sound similar. I know, I know – maybe it’s that fact that it’s the same guy singing and writing music but who knows.

This album is more experimental than the last one. The band is really exploring what you can do with the sounds that are being recorded. ‘Transit’ reminds me of a broken hearted soft/punk rock album that I want to listen to when some girl has just emotional kicked me in the knads. ‘Glass Passenger” doesn’t do that for me, I really like the different moods that this one creates. It takes you on a journey of many different emotions and it is packed with plenty of power! McMahon’s lyrics have definitely developed in the last 4 years from ‘Transit’. I mean don’t get me wrong – I love their first album. ‘Transit’ will always be one of those albums that is remembered by fans and I think It’ll take something bigger than ‘Passenger’ to surpass the fame of Jack’s Mannequin’s debut album. I just think that the band has really progressed and grown in the releasing of this 2nd album. (But it does not beat "Transit")

The diversity in songs is very well situated with the album. Some of the songs I could have done without (American Love, Annie Use Your Telescope) but some of the songs on this album really give it fantastic substance and make it what it really is (Swim, The Resolution, Hammer’s And Strings). My favorite on this one is either Swim or Hammers and Strings – Swim has this inspirational message that makes you wanna press (or swim) on forever. Hammer’s And Strings is an old reminder of Something Corporate with a ballad included only piano that tells a story that grabs you emotionally. Both Choruses (and in The Resolution) are explosive blasts of music and lyrics that will overpower you when you least expect it. It’s freakin great!

Opening with the exciting ‘Crashin’ and then closing with the heart breaking finale (kinda) ‘Caves’ – this album is good. If you are a fan of anything that Andrew McMahon has had apart in, I would suggest picking this one up. It is a great album for long road trips, mainly because it is an album of 14 separate tracks that take you on a journey just by itself. In rating terms I’d give this one 4 out of 5 stars.

From Swim: “You gotta swim, for wars without cause, swim for the lost politicians who don’t see their greed as a flaw – the currents will pull us away from out love, just keep your head above”

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Awesome review. As I'm sure you know, It takes me FOREVER to get into a band, so generally I'm musically retarded and have no idea about anything. But you make it sound interesting. Plus, I like the album cover.

Chrissy said...

Thanks I'm always looking for something new. Post more often!

Grant148 said...

That was great as someone who has listened to this a lot, you nailed it. Oh and just for record, i don't like Annie get your Telescope, but I love Swim, and Bloodshot, those are my two fav.