Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thrice: The Alchemy Index

Thrice has released their 5th (well technically their 5th & 6th but we’ll fudge that) album. And yes, I know it was released like a year ago but I can write a review whenever I want to so take that. This album is a little different than most – it is a concept album done through 4 separate 6 song EP’s. (They released 2 EP's at a time with each release being 6 months apart = reason for two different cover arts). Each EP has a theme of one element, Fire, Water, Air and Earth. These four EP’s separately create the 24 track concept album, The Alchemy Index (a term for the 4 elements used in the Renaissance). It’s no surprise that a band like Thrice has taken a road like this, (especially because you had to be blind not to see it through their previous album, Vheissu.) With this one I’ve split the review into four separate parts, each paragraph being on one disc – and then some random thoughts and ramblings after that. It ends eventually I promise.


Fire was good but it was hard to grab onto. I thought, in one matter, that it was a huge success for Thrice mainly because it was hardcore Thrice, but in a different way. They developed a new way of loud, hard rockin guitar, bass and drums without going back to the old way of playing. But in saying that, that is why it was hard to grab onto, because we hardcore fans (like - me and 20 other guys) all have 3 of their previous albums to Vheissu, with the more punk, 'Deadbolt' sound to them. My favorite on Fire - 'Burn the Fleet', hands down. The way the guitar goes with the Rhoades piano in the chorus is amazing!

Water is incredible because when you compare it to an album like Artist and the Ambulance, its clear evidence of the pure evolution of Thrice. The only hint towards it was through 'Atlantic' on the Vheissu album. This EP, more than any other one, truly does achieve the goal of the sounding and feeling like the element it is named after. Each song makes you feel as though you're in water, floating or swimming or something. My favorite song, it's a tossup - 'The Whaler' is so beautiful in tone but then again 'Night Diving' is a dark journey that remains fantastic without the need for lyrics. I think that 'The Whaler' would win in the end.

Air is a glorious accomplishment! I was a little worried that they would have trouble with this one (and who knows, maybe they did) but I am so happy with it and the way it sounds. Quick note - I liked the differentiation in the songs throughout the 2nd release (that's what made Air/Earth release better than Fire/Water release). On Air and Earth the tracks differ majorly throughout the short EP. This disc is so interesting in a way because it goes from the soft flowy feeling of air (Song For Milly, Silver Wings) to the intense substance that is air (Broken Lungs, Daedulus). Some tracks are similar but there is enough difference that it doesn’t bug me. My favorite for now is 'The Sky is Falling'. It feels like I'm sky diving and with the claps and all, it's just a cool song. "Deaaduls' is fantastic as well.

Earth, I believe, is a project that came out of Dustin's (the lead singer) soul and folk music backround. It's very strange because how do you fully capture Earth, like dirt, in a sound? But man, they've done it and done it successfully! From the crazy reverb on the vocals to the really old - slightly out of tune piano, this disc seriously impresses me. The first track, Moving Mountains definitely has its good folk behind it, (They call it Mountain Goat on their set list, and yeah I have one of their set lists). My favorite right now is the last one, 'Child of Dust'. It reminds me of a funeral procession - and we, the listeners, are being buried in the end.


One thing I found that was very interesting is that all of the four discs end with the same melody and tune but with different lyrics. "The Flame Deluge", "Kings Upon The Main", "Sliverwings", and "Child of Dust". My highly educated English major brother tells me that these are Petrarchian sonnets, a form of Shakespeare writing. It’s very interesting to hear, and it really brings the album (all 24 tracks) together as a whole.

Now I know that there are some Thrice fans out there that keep saying “We want old Thrice!” and “Bring Deadbolt back”. And all I have to say to them is shut up (no offense) – move on like Thrice has. And to everyone that thinks that Dustin is trying to be a preacher from on high, stop. He’s not – he’s an artist expressing himself in form of song. And just because he has a few songs that have metaphors for Christ (and and awesome, bushy beard) doesn’t mean that he is the new messiah. Now - onto business!!!

I think the most impressive thing and the part that deserves the most praise, is the clear and evident evolution of Thrice as a band. I mean, if a band doesn't evolve in some way what happens? They die out - we know that of course. I mean, if it weren't for the Beatles first example of the evolution of a band, we would have never gotten to Rubber Soul and God forbid, St. Peppers. (Yes, I know it's a horrible thought).
All in all I believe (with my large bias toward Thrice) that The Alchemy Index was and is a success for the band and a good, diverse alternative rock concept album. In rating, I'd give it 4.5 out 5 stars

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is a GREAT review, Dave. Really. It almost makes me want to listen to Thrice. Maybe next time we see each other you can indoctrinate me.

Spencer Ellsworth said...

Really good job. You da man.

Seriously, some of the Christian allusions coming one after the other bug me--but then "Come All Ye Weary" makes me cry.

I really like the way "Daedalus" references the Icarus myth as a kind of answer to "The Melting Point of Wax." One is from Icarus' point of view, one is from his father's.

I'm really curious to see what they do with the next one. I'd love to see what Green Day did with some of the songs on "American Idiot"--stuff that recalls their earlier work but really fuses it into a new whole.

You need to review "In Rainbows" now. I've decided it is Radiohead's very best album ever.

Th. said...

.

I'll say this much from here: they look cool.

Grant148 said...

i agree with spencer in rainbows is there best one. Oh and loved the review execpt for i felt like Fire was classic thrice, or almost if classic thrice had gone more hardcore.

Anonymous said...

Hi mate
that's a pretty good review, even if i don't quite agree with everything, but we all have our different approach!

One thing, i think lyrics are EXTREMELY important and written with so much talent, poetry and beauty... I'm a bit disapointed that you didn't mention them.
In each and every songs you have like 2, 3, sometimes 4 meanings. All of them deep, intense, and awesome...

Thrice IS the shit... music, lyric, stage performance... Their own stuff.

i'm always pleased to talk about thrice, so if you want to answer, this is my e-mail : kekeo_carrions@hotmail.com

Kevin Galland, France